Transition year is focused on promoting maturity and personal development.
It recognises that 15 – 16 year olds are at a crucial stage on the pathway from childhood dependence towards independence.
A Transition Year Programme (TYP) allows young people to become more aware of themselves and of the world around them. The emphasis is on developing skills rather than on simply remembering facts. Such skills – academic, technical and general – stay with people for life. Skills in maths, languages and study are especially relevant for a Leaving Certificate programme. Students can develop more independent study habits.
Project work can promote self-regulated learning. Rather than have students loose any study habits, TYP can lay a solid base for learning in a more, responsible way.
Transition Year places a heavy emphasis on learning from experience. Studying aspects of popular culture such as fashion, advertising, popular music, cinema etc. can increase the motivation of learning and add to self esteem.
A Work Experience Placement has been a major milestone on many young people’s paths to maturity. Attention to careers, third-level courses, the realities of employment and unemployment are central concerns in Transition Year.
- Gaeilge – Pre-Leaving Oral / Aural
- English and Drama – Pre Leaving Course
- Maths – Practical Numeracy to Leaving Certificate. Maths
- French and German – Language Skills and Cultural Awareness
- Computer Studies – Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Internet
- Science – Focus on Diet, Health and Fitness
- Religion and Social Studies
- Environmental Studies
- CAD – Computer-Aided Design
- Media Studies – Films, Newspaper Analysis
- Voluntary work – Hospital of Assumption Placements
- Business Studies – Working Knowledge of the Business Environment and the Economy
- Woodwork, Art and Crafts – Emphasis of Furniture Construction
- History – Local History and Heritage
- First Aid – Fundamentals of First Aid – Certified Course
- PE – Multi-Sports Activities with Certificates for GAA, Rugby and Refereeing Qualifications
- Adventure Camp
- Integrated Education Trips
- Work Experience – Weekly experience in varied working